Installing DNN on shared hosting as always been a hard task. And to think I’d have it down by now. I at least remember by heart the basics:
- Download the software from the DNN site
- Upload the files to the shared hosting
- Ensure permissions for the ASP.net user are correct
- Setup the database and user
- Config the webconfig, ie. enter in the DB connection data/string
- Go to browser, invoke install @ http://mydomain.com/install
- Change admin and host passwords
Thats is normally it, unless you run into permissions problems; which is often on shared hosting servers.
But while trying to setup my Freedotnetnukeskins.com on Lunarpages.com servers, we (support and I) discovered that the directory “skins” CANNOT be used as your virtual directory. My guess is this might be in the DNN manual somewhere, but we were using the “auto install DNN” plesk so it was hard to pick out.